30.6.07

To Battle A Ponytail

So I went to see Battles at the Rhythm Room on Thursday night and Ponytail opened. Now I was excited for Ponytail, but I didn't think I'd like them as much as I did. I have this personal theory that if a band can make me genuinely smile, then they've got something going. Between Molly dancing like an orangutan, gritting her teeth and often taking overtly masculine punk stances about the stage, holding the mike so that she sang up into it, I was all in. Ponytail is music for people who aren't boring. It requires total commitment from the listener, much like Battles, or else its easy to miss the brilliance in the speedy drumming and guttural cries. This is music for people who want to feel like they're being absorbed into songs.

Battles. Of late I've started doing this really cute thing at shows where I feel like I'm going to die for whatever reason (probably the lack of air conditioning), but that definitely happened during Battles. I was a little upset by it, too, since I had the perfect view of my favorite Battler: Tyondai Braxton. Yeah, the one with the beautiful hair who does vocals and plays guitar and keyboard. Ahh. "Atlas" was the obvious crowd favortie, and I considered leaving after they played it since I didn't think they could top it. I stayed, though, until either a band member or some of the equipment overheated. I'm not totally sure what happened since I had moved to the very back of the venue by that time due to feeling icky. I was in awe of Battles. My eyes were glued to the stage as they set up. And the yellow drum kit, THE YELLOW DRUM KIT. It was beautiful, with on cymbal standing around six feet. The cymbal is no myth and neither is the indescribable musicianship that this crew exercised. I shook my head innumerable times in disbelief of how talented they are.

Enough praise! Last night I slept for fourteen hours. I've been so exhausted lately. I think I'm a workaholic. I also ate three quarters of a pizza. I was incredibly tired and famished. We did an online blog on azcentral.com about the release of iPhone, and I don't think I know anyone personally who bought one. They are pretty sexy though. They remind me of me.

No comments: