10.4.07

Another Tale of Perverse Passengers

As I walked along University Drive this afternoon, a man in the passenger seat of a silver Mercedes stuck his head out the window and declared to me, "I want to be friends with your ass." Weird times. Dear male population, why do you insist on treating me so awkwardly? Sure, complimenting my ass is flattering, but using Anchor Man material as a pick-up line while inside a moving vehicle isn't really enticing, and definitely not sexy. I'm not terribly offended because I totally understand wanting to befriend a nice ass... oh wait, I mean... a nice person. Right? Right.

Anyways, the new Blonde Redhead finally arrived today! I could not be any more excited. Kazu Makino never ceases to wow me vocally, and the entire atmosphere of 23 is much airier, shedding Makino's thick depression that inspired Misery Is A Butterfly. Her voice is still haunting as ever, but it's freer and more engaging. Not to mention she enunciates, making 23 an approachable collection of breathy songs that feel like dreamy vacations, instead of isolation in an empty room.

Silently is a downright surprise. It sounds like Blondie, minus the brassy, deeper tones of Debbie Harry. By the time I reached Top Ranking, the ninth of ten tracks, I had to pause. "I hope one day we meet again / I hope one day we love one another," Makino sweetly sings over island-inspired drumming and gentle piano.

What am I hearing? This album is... happy?! While it's not giddy, bopping or really danceable, 23 is absolutely a resolution to the dreary, weary beauty of Misery Is A Butterfly. For those who haven't given this tragically gorgeous three-piece a shot, or have shot them down after requiring anti-depressants after a little listening, 23 is your chance to love Blonde Redhead! Take it!

2 comments:

Derek James said...

Yeah, campus is a weird place. I haven't heard blonde redhead in so long. What's up?

becktronbexbecky said...

You absolutely need to listen to the new album. Absolutely.